Posted by david quick at 6/6/2012 2:59 PM EDT on Post and Courier
When I was training for the Boston Marathon this past winter and early spring, I was a bit concerned about my right knee. I hardly ever have issues with my knees, but the right one was a tad sore and less flexible. I stretched it out and it went away – for a while.
After Boston, the obligatory rest followed by a quick transition to triathlon training brought back some sore stiffness. Fearing a tear, I backed off running and stopped biking.
But I also decided – after hearing great reviews – to pay a visit to Sarah Ellis, a physical therapist and personal trainer who recently opened Perfectly Fit Wellness on Ben Sawyer Boulevard in Mount Pleasant.
Like a detective – or car mechanic – she watched me run on a treadmill for five minutes and identified my problem.
She said I was “left leg dominant.”
Subsequent strength test verified that I was suffering from a strength and flexibility imbalance. My left side, namely my glutes and hip flexors, were stronger than my right side. She told me several remedies – you know, non-chemical! – including foam rolling my TFL (tensor fasciae latae) along with my IT band. She also gave me a long list of hip and glute strengthening exercises (variations of single leg squats and split lunges) to re-balance strength in my hips and glutes.
Anyway, I was impressed with her knowledge of anatomy, biomechanics, therapies and overall enthusiasm.
And while this ex-pole vaulter and current kiteboarding enthusiast isn’t into running herself, I think her expertise is a welcome addition to the Charleston endurance sports community.
If you want to check her, her staff of trainers and new space out, Perfectly Fit Wellness is having an Grand Opening Celebration 6:30 p.m.-9 on tomorrow (Thursday, June 7) at the studio at 1476 Ben Sawyer Boulevard. The building is sandwiched, sideways between the putt-putt/bar and bunch of ugly white office buildings – across the street from the House of Brews.
More info at http://www.perfectlyfitwellness.com
The Grand Opening will feature the following:
Sign up for any training package from Perfectly Fit Wellness at the grand opening and receive 25% off!
Door prizes from our partners:
Aestheti Spa , a cosmetic skin and laser center, shares a passion with Perfectly Fit for providing the highest level of anti-aging to our clients. Win a free microdermabrasion from Aestheti Spa at the grand opening.
The Great Escape Spa Therapy offers a signature Neuromuscular therapy designed to treat and improve physical performance. Perfectly Fit is proud to have them as partners to support a well rounded approach for improving clients’ well-being at every level. Win a free 60min deep tissue massage from The Great Escape Spa at the grand opening.
Air and Earth enriches the lives of others by making exercise fun! As proud partners they are offering a free paddle board lesson giveaway for those clients who are ready to put all their newly gained strength at Perfectly Fit Wellness to the test. Air and Earth is a surfing, paddle boarding, skateboarding and kiteboarding shop & center that is geared to help you have MORE great sessions.
The Foot Store in Mt. Pleasant has worked hand in hand with Perfectly Fit Wellness for years offering the most comprehensive analysis for solving your every shoe need. Stop by for your chance to win a free pair of shoes and all of the Foot Store’s signature attention to detail that comes with every purchase.
Acupuncture and Wellness of Charleston is partnering with Perfectly Fit Wellness to offer our clients wellness in all aspects of one’s well-being (physical, mental, emotional). During the grand opening, enter for your chance to win a free initial 2 hour in-depth assessment, treatment and recommendations from Dr. Catherine Jones.
Island Paddle Adventure has worked side by side with Perfectly Fit Wellness for years to provide our clients with the most comprehensive exercise and wellness experience. Island Paddle Adventure gets them out on the water for some fun well rounded exercise, building core strength and boosting vitamin D. For the grand opening Island Paddle Adventure will be giving away a free kayak tour and 3 SUP fitness sessions.
Thrive Movement Therapy is partnering with Perfectly Fit Wellness to offer clients a whole new level of body awareness. Specializing in a developing a deeper understanding, owner Katie Ashley is giving away a free movement therapy session to enhance physical spiritual and mental growth.
Defined: Therapeutic Massage is partnering with Perfectly Fit Wellness to offer our clients a complete wellness experience. Owner, Jarrod Fritz, specializes in sports massage, myofascial release and flexibility training and will be donating a free 60 minute deep tissue sports massage for the grand opening.
Trek Bike Shop of Mount Pleasant is donating a complete body tune-up for your bike. Getting riding with confidence that only a thorough mechanical overhaul can give you.
High Thyme on Sullivan’s Island is donating some wine to be sure and make it a fun evening. Perhaps one of the islands best kept secrets, this bistro delivers delicious food every time.
Perfectly Fit Wellness Giveaways:
- A 60min beam fit training session that goes beyond total body training as it is a Whole Body, mentally invigorating, core-based training “EXPERIENCE” rather than just another workout!
- A 60min functional mobility for life session, benifits include: Increase Bone density, Improve Balance, Coordination, Stamina and Agility and Decrease Arthritic Pain.
- Stretch your pain away with a free 60min yoga session that centers around body movement and correct posturing.
- During a complete fitness assessment plus exercise prescription you will find out your fitness level with our complete fit check system! Fitness Assessment includes full medical history and medication review and how those factors effects weight gain and physical conditioning. Learn how to set accomplishable goals based on your current % Lean Body Mass, Lean Weight, Fat Weight, BMI, Waist to Hip Ratio and Blood Pressure. Review your current exercise program and leave with a new exercise prescription based on your specific findings.
- In a complete posture assessment session learn how to fix your posture to prevent orthopedic pain. Sometimes it’s not as easy as just standing up straight when pain, muscle weakness and years of habit have taken their toll. Sarah will give you tools to help empower and fix yourself, stay that way and know what to do in the face of pain, should it occur again.
- Run faster during this free running analysis session to correct your gait and identify key muscles to improve training.
Free training gear from Nike and TRX!